The Ideal Hospital Framework
In 2013 the concept of an Ideal Clinic was developed by the National Department of Health to prepare for National Health Insurance (NHI) in South Africa. The Ideal Clinic is a model for an efficient and well-functioning clinic. The concept was then expanded to higher care levels i.e. hospitals.
The Ideal Hospital Framework was developed to:
- address deficiencies in primary health care services at hospitals in South Africa,
- support the Transformation of Health Systems policy,
- provide a framework for public hospitals and
- create a national parameter as a quality benchmark to standardise service levels.
The project formed part of Right to Care’s HSS programme.
Right to Care provided:
- the funding mechanism and
- project management expertise to coordinate role players.